You've just closed your house purchase--now what? Of course, there's the packing, unpacking and decorating. This checklist will help you stay on track.
Determine your moving needs, including:
- Movers or a van (donate items you will not take with you in the move prior to obtaining an estimate)
- Boxes (include a variety of sizes and divided containers for glassware)
- Packing paper, tape and markers to identify boxes
- Consider moving special breakables yourself, if possible
- Have paper towel, bathroom tissue, plastic cups and other necessities available for use on moving day
- Measure doors, hallways and stairways prior to moving day to be sure they will accommodate your possessions
- Save your receipts - you may be able to deduct some moving expenses
- Get the names and addresses, payment dates, account numbers and amounts you have to pay for your mortgage, taxes, condo maintenance and utility charges.
- Create your change of address notification list, including:
- The post office
- Doctor and dentist offices
- Benefit providers
- Magazine subscriptions
- Auto and home insurance
- Change your driver's license and your registration information with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Failing to do so could incur a fine.
- Get to know your neighborhood: the closest grocery stores, pharmacies, police and fire stations, hospital. Ask your realtor or loan officer for recommendations for veterinarians and other professionals.
- Call your local government office to identify garbage and recycling days.
- Change the locks, or at least the tumblers, on all doors.
- Consider upgrading the locks to deadbolts for greater home security.